Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day One: We're Here!

We made it! After two not-as-harrowing-as-they-could-have-been flights, we arrived in Santo Domingo. LeAnne´s friend Yolcy was there to greet us so warmly! She is very sweet and speaks Spanish very clearly such that I understand about 60% of what she says. I think that´s a good thing!  Yolcy was accompanied by a young man named Rafi who speaks English very well and a teen-aged girl named Wildanelly who spoke less English.

Yolcy's ex-husband is our driver for the week, I suppose (which is a good thing because I left my camera in his big van).  We stopped briefly in Santo Domingo to look at the Carribean with Rafi and Wildanelly.   Rafi pointed out that the water was filled with trash, which was a little disenchanting.  


A lot of kids were out there flying kites (chichiguas) which seem to be quite popular in the DR.  Santo Domingo is the first place that Colombus landed when he arrived in the New World.  Rafi gave us a clue about how many Dominicans feel about "Cristobal Colón."  He was disgusted by this European colonizer who exterminated a significant portion of the inhabitants of the island of Hispañola.  There are, though, many Dominicans with the European perspective that Colón was a great man.


We then drove north from Santo Domingo through the mountains to Tenares where Yolcy lives. We went through some tiny mountain towns that were pretty fascinating and saw a lot of people going about their daily business. At every point that a vehicle might have to stop, there are about a dozen people coming up to the window selling fresh fruits or candies. Yolcy bought us each a long candy stick that was like taffy. The one bite was all I could handle before I feared I was going to lose my dental work. It was a taffy made from pure cane sugar and was pretty delicious.

We also stopped at a little fast food place for rice and beans. The vegetarians had some problems with the meat situation, but they got over it somehow. The rice and beans were amazing! I loved it. 

Lance has been forcing me to use my Spanish, which is one of the most mentally challenging things I've ever had to do. Comps for my Master´s degree were MUCH easier than this. As a matter of fact, I might prefer them. Regardless, he has also been SUPER helpful, and his patience and assistance are now publicly appreciated. 


We arrived in Tenares around 8:30 or so. She had a huge spread of food for us: boiled green bananas, a fantastic bean dish with LOTS of cilantro, rice, and vegetables (cabbage, carrots, and chayote, also called a vegetable pear, which is like a sweetish squash). All the water that we drink and brush teeth with is bottled for our safety. The mosquitos are still small because it's still 'cool' outside. 

After being serenaded by our new friend Tony singing Merengue songs, we dispersed to our host families. Erin and I are staying with a lovely woman named Mariluz. She has three children: Grismaldy (14-year-old girl), Jeferson (11-year-old boy), and Sheila (5-year-old girl that I might have to bring home with me). Mariluz has a lovely home. We are staying in her bedroom. The conditions are VERY different from what we are used to, but it's still wonderful. The master bathroom has no door and the tub has no curtain, but it doesn´t matter because the bathroom has no running water. Mariluz heats up water for us 9n the hot water heater outside at the back of the house and we take baths with a bucket and dipper. I think it's pretty cool because it saves a TON of water. 

Today, we head to the high school to meet the students and then to visit with the muralist. When I find my camera, I'll be able to post some pictures from yesterday. 

My breakfast is ready, so I must go. More later! HOORAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment